There is something about the smell of fresh bread baking that evokes a warm and homely feeling.
I discovered this recipe for Walnut Bread on a packet of Odlums flour and had it saved on my fridge for over a year. I finally got around to making it and I was pleasantly surprised.
It’s delicious served with cheese and chutney or dipped into olive oil and balsamic!
Serves 6-8 | Prep Time: 10mins | Cook Time: 40 mins
- 275g/10oz Self Raising Flour
- 175g/6oz Coarse Wholemeal Flour
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 level teaspoon Bread Soda (sieved)
- 100g packet Chopped Walnuts
- 300ml/1/2pt Buttermilk
- 1 dessertspoon Honey
- 1 dessertspoon Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Treacle
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6. Lightly dust plain flat baking sheet/tray with flour.
- Put all the dry ingredients into a bowl and mix well. Beat the liquid ingredients together and add to the dry ingredients. Mix to a soft dough.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface and gently knead, then shape into a round.
- Place on the floured baking sheet/tray and bake for about 40 minutes or until risen and has a hollow sound when ‘tapped’ underneath.
- Wrap in a clean tea towel and allow to cool.
- Serve with cheese or soup or buttered on its own!
An always hungry, self-confessed technology nut, web & graphic designer and lover of all things food related, Grub Galore is a place to get my creative foodie fix and serves as somewhere to record and share my recipes. I hope you enjoy browsing my growing collection.