Monicas Brown Soda Bread
I have been baking this bread for many many years and was given to me from my mother-in-law Monica. Super easy and quick to pull together, I often make two loaves, one for the freezer as it freezes well if wrapped correctly. It’s at its best served with homemade coleslaw, butter and REAL ham!
Serves 6-8 | Prep Time: 10mins | Cook Time: 30-40 mins
- 10oz wholemeal flour
- 6oz cream flour
- 1/2 pint buttermilk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp breadsoda
- Mix all the ingredients together. Mix should be quite wet.
- Shape into a round and cross the top or place into a lined loaf tin.
- Brush the top with a little milk and bake 45 mins to 1 hour in a 150 degree fan oven.
- When cooked, remove from tin (if using) and wrap in a clean dry tea towel.
- Serve with lots of Irish butter!
NOTE: Can be easily adapted to a white or a fruit soda bread – just use all white flour, add 3 tbs sugar and as much fruit as you like if making a fruit soda.